So we now know who the winners of the GMA Awards 2021 were, but to wrap up the event in it's entirety and bid farewell to 2021 and usher in 2022, we must turn to the last bunch of awards - 'Metal Release By Country / Area'.
Usually these would include the flag of the band's nation, but given the events in Afghanistan this year among other political turmoil, I felt it would be prudent to forgo any flags and just list the winners.... so without further ado here are the....
"Under The Verdict"
"The Search For
The Dark Star"
"Beyond Unseen Gateways"
"In The Mouth Of Madness"
Black Serpent Ritual
BOSNIA - HERZEGOVINA
"Abyss Of Lost Souls"
"A Whole New Land"
"暮色绽放 Twilight Blooming"
Act Of Denial
Cycles Of Revocation
"Capítulo 1: Repugnante Negocio Del Terror"
Ghosts Of Atlantis
"A Legacy Of Vengeance"
"Lullabies Of Mountain Beasts"
"Empire Of Sins"
ISLE OF MAN
Serenity In Murder
"Midnight Bloody Dances"
"Te Ho Ngeza"
"Cold In Our Hearts"
"Sub Cultura Urii"
Scorn Of Creation
"Todas Las Sangres"
"Eulogy For The Gods"
Dethrone The Corrupted
"The Amygdaloid Decay"
Seraph In Travail
"A Black Death Incense"
"Covered in Concrete"
From The Abyss
"Carving The Fires Of Akhet"
"Chronicles Of War"
"Throne Of Control"
Her Last Sight
"Monument Of Reclamation"
"Mankind / Obsolete"
"Decades Of Suffering"
"The Constitutional Sacrifice"
The Iridium Experiment
"The Order Of Satan's Rage"
Deep Inside Us
"Untitled 2021 Demo"
"Death To Traitors"
"The Ultimate Dream. Plan B: Disposal Of Humanity"
"Belong To Hell"
"Ashes Of Dead Worlds"
"Annihilation Of Mankind"
"Vol. 4: Toxicolandia"
Apes Of God
"En El Recinto De La Tempestad"
Sol Draconi Septem
Beneath The Void
"Attack Of The 50ft Lobsters"
"The Inheritance Of Beauty"
"Gurus Of Destruction"
"Chaos Of Fear"
Becoming The Entity
"Signs Of Saturn"
"Empire Of Glass"
Robot Death Monkey
"Shame Of The Proud Angel"
"A Common Theories"
"Prelude To The Apocalypse"
"A Lip To Earth, A Lip To Heaven & A Tongue To The Stars"
"Punishment In The World To Come"
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
"Terror in Thrace"
The Only Survivor
"The Birth Of Anger"
"Thy Kingdom Kong"
So without further ado, we present the winners of the
2021 Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) awards.
All categories except "Release Of The Year"
came with an 'other' option.
See you in December 2022
Global Metal Release Of The Year
WARRIOR OF LIGHT
Breakthrough African Band
Breakthrough Asian Band
Breakthrough European Band
Breakthrough North & Central American Band
Breakthrough Oceanian Band
Breakthrough South American Band
Breakthrough UK Band
BEYOND EXTINCTION (ESSEX)
GHOSTS OF ATLANTIS (ESSEX / SUFFOLK)
Breakthrough International Band
Music Video Of The Year
Cradle Of Filth - Necromantic Fantasies
After one month of voting, nearly 6,000 votes cast and countless sharing across all social media platforms by us and nominees alike, the time has come to announce the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
But before that happens, there will be a change to how the nominees are cast. For 10 months of the year we will be running a series of rounds from which the 10 finalists will be recognised for the annual event.
The system will work as thus: nominees elected in the month of January are voted for in February... February nominees voted in March, etc and finishes with nominees in October being voted for in November - the finalists will then be voted for across the month of December and into early January 2021; finishing 8th January 2021.
Now that's put out into the open, we can finally reveal the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
Release Of The Year
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (19.8%)
- Eluveitie - Ategnatos (16.6%)
- Jinjer - Macro (13.9%)
- Oomph! - Ritual (9.2%)
- Kryptos - Afterburner (7.4%)
- Tyr - Hel (7.1%)
- Unleash The Archers - Explorers (7.1%)
- Myrath - Shehili (7%)
- Sabaton - The Great War (6.9%)
- The Hu - The Gereg (4.9%)
Best Live Act
- Jinjer (The Ukraine) - (27.6%)
- Eluveitie (Switzerland) - (15.2%)
- Sabaton (Sweden) - (11.3%)
- Alien Weaponry (New Zealand) - (9.9%)
- Myrath (Tunisia) - (9.1%)
- Lacuna Coil (Italy) - (8.2%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (7.2%)
- Crescent (Egypt) - (4.9%)
- Hatari (Iceland) - (3.6%)
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (3%)
Breakthrough African Metal Band
- Mythos (Egypt) - (35.5%)
- Berzek (Algeria) - (11.3%)
- My Veins (Madagascar) - (9%)
- Iron Sliver (Gabon) - (8.1%)
- Woltemade (South Africa) - (6.7%)
- Roar Of Heroes (Cameroon) - (6.7%)
- Nebulosa Difusa (Angola) - (5.9%)
- Oydis (Libya) - (5.6%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (5.6%)
- Kawn (Morocco) - (5.5%)
Breakthrough Asian Metal Band
- Trainwreck (Bangladesh) - (35%)
- Mary's Blood (Japan) - (21.1%)
- Bloodywood (India) - (10.4%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.6%)
- The Dead Sea (Jordan) - (5.5%)
- Ekwon (Iran) - (5.4%)
- Holy Dragons (Kazakhstan) - (5.1%)
- Reign In Slumber (Cambodia) - (4.2%)
- Afreet (Afghanistan) - (3.3%)
- Fecundation (South Korea) - (3.3%)
Breakthrough European Metal Band
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (17.1%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (12.7%)
- Elusion (Belgium) - (11.6%)
- Setheist (Poland) - (11.2%)
- Synlakross (Spain) - (8.8%)
- Scarleth (The Ukraine) - (8.2%)
- E-An-Na (Romania) - (7.9%)
- Awakening Sun (Lithuania) - (7.8%)
- Kobold (Serbia) - (7.3%)
- Crossbones (Albania) - (7.3%)
Breakthrough UK Metal Band
- Black Pyre (Wales) - (20.6%)
- Aeons (Isle Of Man) - (14.6%)
- Inferiem (Scotland) - (10.4%)
- Fear Bound (England) - (10.3%)
- Zombified (Northern Ireland) - (9.9%)
- Pravitas (England) - (9.6%)
- Dog Tired (Scotland) - (7.5%)
- Djinova (England) - (6.9%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (6.2%)
- Byzanthian Neckbeard (Guernsey) - (3.9%)
Breakthrough North & Central American Metal Band
- Astaroth Incarnate (Canada) - (32.8%)
- Human Equation (Mexico) - (11.6%)
- From The Graves (Cuba) - (10.9%)
- Reactor (El Salvador) - (8.4%)
- Stromptha (Greenland) - (7.6%)
- Athica (Panama) - (7.5%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.1%)
- Gangrena Cerebral (Dominican Republic) - (5.2%)
- Transgresión (Puerto Rico) - (5.1%)
- Aversia (Nicaragua) - (4.9%)
Breakthrough Oceanian Metal Band
- Scythian Fate (Australia) - (26.2%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (16.1%)
- Hunt The Witch (New Zealand) - (13.1%)
- Abide Till Death (Papua New Guinea) - (8%)
- Shepherd's Reign (New Zealand) - (7.6%)
- Surrender The Thief (Guam) - (6.6%)
- Redsphere (New Caledonia) - (6%)
- The Relativ (Fiji) - (5.9%)
- Dropvkal (Vanuatu) - (5.5%)
- Pōturu (French Polynesia) - (5%)
Breakthrough South American Metal Band
- Suicidal Drinkers (Argentina) - (17.1%)
- Visceral Decay (Ecuador) - (13.3%)
- Maze Of Terror (Peru) - (12.2%)
- Holder Of Souls (Brazil) - (12.1%)
- Inner Betrayer (Colombia) - (9.5%)
- Weight Of Emptiness (Chile) - (8.7%)
- Khymor (Paraguay) - (7.9%)
- Territory (Uruguay) - (7.1%)
- Worship The Pestilence (Bolivia) - (6.8%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) - (5.4%)
Breakthrough International Metal Band
- Bloodywood (India) - (24.4%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (11.4%)
- Infected Rain (Moldova) - (11.4%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (9.8%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (8.7%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (8.3%)
- Ade! (Italy) - (8%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.7%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) + Overthrust (Botswana) - (5.6%) - tied on vote numbers.
Festival Of The Year
- Bloodstock Open Air (England) - (28.4%)
- Heavy MTL (Canada) - (22%)
- Bangalore Open Air (India) - (17.8%)
- Copenhell (Denmark) - (6.4%)
- Eindhoven Metal Meeting (The Netherlands) - (5.4%)
- Goathell (Croatia) - (4.5%)
- Hard Rock Laager (Estonia) - (4.5%)
- Eistnaflug (Iceland) - (4.1%)
- Kaltenbach Open Air (Austria) - (3.8%)
- Hammersonic (Indonesia) - (3.1%)
Music Video Of The Year
- Rammstein - 'Deutschland' - (21.6%)
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Sugar' - (21.2%)
- Eluveitie - 'Ategnatos' - (12.8%)
- Jinjer - 'On The Top' - (11.6%)
- Myrath - 'Born To Survive' - (8%)
- Sabaton - 'Bismarck' - (7.9%)
- Alien Weaponry - 'Blinded' - (7.2%)
- Arka'n - 'Tears Of The Dead' - (4.6%)
- Underside - 'Wild' - (3.2%)
- Oomph! - 'Tausend Mann Und Ein Befehl' (1.9%)
Global Metal Ambassador 2019
- Gojira (France) - (28.1%)
- Freddy Lim (Taiwan) - (21.4%)
- Jake Shuker & Monzer Darwish (Syria) - (9.7%)
- Sahil Makhija (India) - (8%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.9%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (6.4%)
- Rock Arka'n (Togo) - (4.9%)
- Roy Dipankar (India -'Extreme Nation' director) - (4.6%)
- Overthrust (Botswana) - (4.1%)
- Zarraza (Kazakhstan) - (3.5%)
- World Metal Congress (International) - (2.2%)*
* Later withdrawn by request of nominee.
Egypt's Scarab release 'Circles of Verminejya' lyric video; taken from upcoming album "Martyrs of the Storm"
Egypt's Death Metal band Scarab unleash their new lyric video Circles of Verminejya. The song is taken from their third full length upcoming album titled Martyrs of the Storm. The album features a number of artists: Joe Haley (Psycroptic), Karl Sanders (Nile), Tarassenko Nikita (The Condratiction), Amducias Baal (Temple of Baal), Stephen Moss (Onsetcold), Achraf Loudiy (Aeternam) and Paul Nazarkardeh (De Profundis). The bass has been recorded with another De Profundis member, Arran Macsporran.
The release date for Martyrs of the Storm will be confirmed later.
Vocalist Sammy Sayed explains why so many artists are featured on the album:-
"We want to make a statement in the name of brotherhood and unity of metal worldwide. We want Martyrs of the Storm to be something beyond just us and our egos. Artists such as Joe Haley and Karl Sanders have influenced us a lot and it is great to have their spirit added to our work of art."
Every song in the album is dedicated to a concept, all wrapped in this sphere of chaos called Martyrs of the Storm.
Circles of Verminejya is dedicated to the mystical and magical tradition of Voodoo from great Africa. Check out the video here:- https://vimeo.com/289903570
The album cover is a real painting by the artist Fiona Garcia, digitally adapted by Al Sharif Marzeban.
Czech Progressive Masters Between The Planets sign with the Egyptian PR agency Naqada Music Management.
Between The Planets is an instrumental groove / metal / ambient trio originally created as a one man project by Martin "Spacosh" Perina. However, they are not a traditional djent, their music have many ambient backgrounds, a frequent post-metal elements and a pure, progressive rock-sounding guitar parts.
"Immersion Into The Unknown" was their debut back in 2013, and recently released their new masterpiece full-length "Of Inner Sight" October, 2017
BTP and Naqada Music agreed for an exclusive deal to become their official media representative for 2018.
Stay tuned for more info will be revealed very soon.
The 'Releases Of The Year' series are albums chosen by myself as the best release from each country / dependency known to have an official release in the year 2017. These are alphabetized in country order so are easy to navigate. Each award has national flag featured alongside the band name, Release Of The Year' and Facebook link (where provided)
Who would have thought that Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) would be celebrating 6 years this year as an international metal music outlet, giving bands worldwide endless coverage through reviews, interviews and everything in and around the edges? Not me.
I started GMA 6 years ago with the vision of unearthing, nurturing, promoting and expanding bands coverage across all continents and the islands dotted across planet earth, with the extended view of tapping into nascent metal scenes that were either unbeknownst to the wider metal community e.g. French Polynesia or to those freshly starting out at the hands of one or two bands e.g. Iron Sliver from Gabon.
6 years later and here I am, ready to announce who has won what category(s) at the annual GMA Awards. Voting went on for two weeks and saw thousands upon thousands of votes pouring in since the voting form went live.
GMA is run solely by one person, myself. But this has not put me off from continuing the site's progression and this year I started a sister site:- Global Mainstream Arts (http://globalmainstreamarts.weebly.com/) to give non-metal artists / bands coverage. But metal will always be at the forefront.
The winners at the 2017 GMA Awards are:-
CHOSEN BY EDITOR:-
- GLOBAL METAL ICON :- Maysaloon (Syria)
- MOST INNOVATIVE MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR:- Epica – The Solace System
- RELEASE OF THE YEAR BY COUNTRY (IN SEPARATE POSTS FOLLOWING THIS)
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
BEST LIVE ACT
BREAKTHROUGH AFRICAN BAND
BREAKTHROUGH ASIAN BAND
BREAKTHROUGH AUSTRALASIAN BAND
BREAKTHROUGH EUROPEAN BAND
BREAKTHROUGH UK BAND
BREAKTHROUGH NORTH & CENTRAL AMERICAN BAND
BREAKTHROUGH SOUTH AMERICAN BAND
BREAKTHROUGH INTERNATIONAL BAND
BAND / ARTIST
FESTIVAL OF THE YEAR
MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Part 1/5 of releases of the year.
These releases represent national scenes and are not a general 'release of the year' (just to clarify)
Click your flag to see what release this year is considered the best from your national scene of 2016 - these are picked by the editor.
January 2012 marked the awarding of a plaque of recognition from Virgin Megastores MENA and Spellbind Records for being the "All Time Best Selling Metal Band" and "Top 3 Best Selling UAE Artist" (international repertoire) with the release of their latest album "Psychogenocide".
Nervecell since have spoken: "Given the immense support and great response we’ve received from the release of “Psychogenocide”, we felt this was the perfect time for us to get out there and play to the fans in each of these countries who have all significantly contributed in one way or another towards the albums success. A Middle East tour has always been something we’ve wanted to do over the years, so we’re glad to finally be able to pull this off and cant wait to join forces again with our loyal fans from this region".
Psychogenocide Middle East Tour 2012 (Part 1) tour dates:
June 22, 2012 – Qatar, Doha @ Qube - Buy Tickets Online
June 28, 2012 – Bahrain, Manama @ Rocky's Cafe
June 29, 2012 – UAE, Dubai @ Ratsky 3
Part 2 to include Egypt, Lebanon & more this August/September!
Global Metal Apocalypse
Battle Of The Bands
Brutal Death Metal
Isle Of Man
Line Up Change
Neue Deutsche Harte
Papua New Guinea
Play Through Video
Violent Pop Metal