Female Dark Metal band Upon Shadows premiere their new track and video called "Light and Shadows" to celebrate their 20th anniversary.
The song combines the raw sound of guitars, bass and fierce vocals with the poetry of the lyrics and the extremely dark atmosphere, emphasized by the keyboards. This single will not be part of the new Upon Shadows album, which is in the process of being recorded and will be released next year. As a curious fact, it should be said that the releases of Upon Shadows are always on the same date, and this is because October 18 is the birthday of Tamara Picardo, leader of the band.
"Light and Shadows" was recorded mostly in Oulu, Finland and the bass in Montevideo, Uruguay. Mixed and mastered by Mika Pohjola at Soundmix recording studio, Oulu, Finland in 2022, and is now available on music platforms.
Tamara Picardo comment about the song:
“For this single we wanted to go for a more raw sound, this decision is based on the concept within "Light and Shadows". It is a song that somehow evokes the spirit of our first albums and at the same time unites it with who we are now. In a way it is "proof" that we are still the same dreamy rebels, that 20 years ago got together to make dark music, and our flame is still furiously alive.
There are no political or philosophical references in this song... I wanted this song to be a bit of fresh air, among so many bad news and constant tragedies. Among so many people trying to convince another of something. This is poetry and extreme metal with all our passion and our blood”.
Watch the official video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJOGAwPaYI&ab_channel=UponShadows
Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) Awards 2021 - Metal Release Of The Year (by country / territory)
So we now know who the winners of the GMA Awards 2021 were, but to wrap up the event in it's entirety and bid farewell to 2021 and usher in 2022, we must turn to the last bunch of awards - 'Metal Release By Country / Area'.
Usually these would include the flag of the band's nation, but given the events in Afghanistan this year among other political turmoil, I felt it would be prudent to forgo any flags and just list the winners.... so without further ado here are the....
"Under The Verdict"
"The Search For
The Dark Star"
"Beyond Unseen Gateways"
"In The Mouth Of Madness"
Black Serpent Ritual
BOSNIA - HERZEGOVINA
"Abyss Of Lost Souls"
"A Whole New Land"
"暮色绽放 Twilight Blooming"
Act Of Denial
Cycles Of Revocation
"Capítulo 1: Repugnante Negocio Del Terror"
Ghosts Of Atlantis
"A Legacy Of Vengeance"
"Lullabies Of Mountain Beasts"
"Empire Of Sins"
ISLE OF MAN
Serenity In Murder
"Midnight Bloody Dances"
"Te Ho Ngeza"
"Cold In Our Hearts"
"Sub Cultura Urii"
Scorn Of Creation
"Todas Las Sangres"
"Eulogy For The Gods"
Dethrone The Corrupted
"The Amygdaloid Decay"
Seraph In Travail
"A Black Death Incense"
"Covered in Concrete"
From The Abyss
"Carving The Fires Of Akhet"
"Chronicles Of War"
"Throne Of Control"
Her Last Sight
"Monument Of Reclamation"
"Mankind / Obsolete"
"Decades Of Suffering"
"The Constitutional Sacrifice"
The Iridium Experiment
"The Order Of Satan's Rage"
Deep Inside Us
"Untitled 2021 Demo"
"Death To Traitors"
"The Ultimate Dream. Plan B: Disposal Of Humanity"
"Belong To Hell"
"Ashes Of Dead Worlds"
"Annihilation Of Mankind"
"Vol. 4: Toxicolandia"
Apes Of God
"En El Recinto De La Tempestad"
Sol Draconi Septem
Beneath The Void
"Attack Of The 50ft Lobsters"
"The Inheritance Of Beauty"
"Gurus Of Destruction"
"Chaos Of Fear"
Becoming The Entity
"Signs Of Saturn"
"Empire Of Glass"
Robot Death Monkey
"Shame Of The Proud Angel"
"A Common Theories"
"Prelude To The Apocalypse"
"A Lip To Earth, A Lip To Heaven & A Tongue To The Stars"
"Punishment In The World To Come"
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
"Terror in Thrace"
The Only Survivor
"The Birth Of Anger"
"Thy Kingdom Kong"
GMA Awards 2019 - The Results
After one month of voting, nearly 6,000 votes cast and countless sharing across all social media platforms by us and nominees alike, the time has come to announce the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
But before that happens, there will be a change to how the nominees are cast. For 10 months of the year we will be running a series of rounds from which the 10 finalists will be recognised for the annual event.
The system will work as thus: nominees elected in the month of January are voted for in February... February nominees voted in March, etc and finishes with nominees in October being voted for in November - the finalists will then be voted for across the month of December and into early January 2021; finishing 8th January 2021.
Now that's put out into the open, we can finally reveal the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
Release Of The Year
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (19.8%)
- Eluveitie - Ategnatos (16.6%)
- Jinjer - Macro (13.9%)
- Oomph! - Ritual (9.2%)
- Kryptos - Afterburner (7.4%)
- Tyr - Hel (7.1%)
- Unleash The Archers - Explorers (7.1%)
- Myrath - Shehili (7%)
- Sabaton - The Great War (6.9%)
- The Hu - The Gereg (4.9%)
Best Live Act
- Jinjer (The Ukraine) - (27.6%)
- Eluveitie (Switzerland) - (15.2%)
- Sabaton (Sweden) - (11.3%)
- Alien Weaponry (New Zealand) - (9.9%)
- Myrath (Tunisia) - (9.1%)
- Lacuna Coil (Italy) - (8.2%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (7.2%)
- Crescent (Egypt) - (4.9%)
- Hatari (Iceland) - (3.6%)
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (3%)
Breakthrough African Metal Band
- Mythos (Egypt) - (35.5%)
- Berzek (Algeria) - (11.3%)
- My Veins (Madagascar) - (9%)
- Iron Sliver (Gabon) - (8.1%)
- Woltemade (South Africa) - (6.7%)
- Roar Of Heroes (Cameroon) - (6.7%)
- Nebulosa Difusa (Angola) - (5.9%)
- Oydis (Libya) - (5.6%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (5.6%)
- Kawn (Morocco) - (5.5%)
Breakthrough Asian Metal Band
- Trainwreck (Bangladesh) - (35%)
- Mary's Blood (Japan) - (21.1%)
- Bloodywood (India) - (10.4%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.6%)
- The Dead Sea (Jordan) - (5.5%)
- Ekwon (Iran) - (5.4%)
- Holy Dragons (Kazakhstan) - (5.1%)
- Reign In Slumber (Cambodia) - (4.2%)
- Afreet (Afghanistan) - (3.3%)
- Fecundation (South Korea) - (3.3%)
Breakthrough European Metal Band
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (17.1%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (12.7%)
- Elusion (Belgium) - (11.6%)
- Setheist (Poland) - (11.2%)
- Synlakross (Spain) - (8.8%)
- Scarleth (The Ukraine) - (8.2%)
- E-An-Na (Romania) - (7.9%)
- Awakening Sun (Lithuania) - (7.8%)
- Kobold (Serbia) - (7.3%)
- Crossbones (Albania) - (7.3%)
Breakthrough UK Metal Band
- Black Pyre (Wales) - (20.6%)
- Aeons (Isle Of Man) - (14.6%)
- Inferiem (Scotland) - (10.4%)
- Fear Bound (England) - (10.3%)
- Zombified (Northern Ireland) - (9.9%)
- Pravitas (England) - (9.6%)
- Dog Tired (Scotland) - (7.5%)
- Djinova (England) - (6.9%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (6.2%)
- Byzanthian Neckbeard (Guernsey) - (3.9%)
Breakthrough North & Central American Metal Band
- Astaroth Incarnate (Canada) - (32.8%)
- Human Equation (Mexico) - (11.6%)
- From The Graves (Cuba) - (10.9%)
- Reactor (El Salvador) - (8.4%)
- Stromptha (Greenland) - (7.6%)
- Athica (Panama) - (7.5%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.1%)
- Gangrena Cerebral (Dominican Republic) - (5.2%)
- Transgresión (Puerto Rico) - (5.1%)
- Aversia (Nicaragua) - (4.9%)
Breakthrough Oceanian Metal Band
- Scythian Fate (Australia) - (26.2%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (16.1%)
- Hunt The Witch (New Zealand) - (13.1%)
- Abide Till Death (Papua New Guinea) - (8%)
- Shepherd's Reign (New Zealand) - (7.6%)
- Surrender The Thief (Guam) - (6.6%)
- Redsphere (New Caledonia) - (6%)
- The Relativ (Fiji) - (5.9%)
- Dropvkal (Vanuatu) - (5.5%)
- Pōturu (French Polynesia) - (5%)
Breakthrough South American Metal Band
- Suicidal Drinkers (Argentina) - (17.1%)
- Visceral Decay (Ecuador) - (13.3%)
- Maze Of Terror (Peru) - (12.2%)
- Holder Of Souls (Brazil) - (12.1%)
- Inner Betrayer (Colombia) - (9.5%)
- Weight Of Emptiness (Chile) - (8.7%)
- Khymor (Paraguay) - (7.9%)
- Territory (Uruguay) - (7.1%)
- Worship The Pestilence (Bolivia) - (6.8%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) - (5.4%)
Breakthrough International Metal Band
- Bloodywood (India) - (24.4%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (11.4%)
- Infected Rain (Moldova) - (11.4%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (9.8%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (8.7%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (8.3%)
- Ade! (Italy) - (8%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.7%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) + Overthrust (Botswana) - (5.6%) - tied on vote numbers.
Festival Of The Year
- Bloodstock Open Air (England) - (28.4%)
- Heavy MTL (Canada) - (22%)
- Bangalore Open Air (India) - (17.8%)
- Copenhell (Denmark) - (6.4%)
- Eindhoven Metal Meeting (The Netherlands) - (5.4%)
- Goathell (Croatia) - (4.5%)
- Hard Rock Laager (Estonia) - (4.5%)
- Eistnaflug (Iceland) - (4.1%)
- Kaltenbach Open Air (Austria) - (3.8%)
- Hammersonic (Indonesia) - (3.1%)
Music Video Of The Year
- Rammstein - 'Deutschland' - (21.6%)
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Sugar' - (21.2%)
- Eluveitie - 'Ategnatos' - (12.8%)
- Jinjer - 'On The Top' - (11.6%)
- Myrath - 'Born To Survive' - (8%)
- Sabaton - 'Bismarck' - (7.9%)
- Alien Weaponry - 'Blinded' - (7.2%)
- Arka'n - 'Tears Of The Dead' - (4.6%)
- Underside - 'Wild' - (3.2%)
- Oomph! - 'Tausend Mann Und Ein Befehl' (1.9%)
Global Metal Ambassador 2019
- Gojira (France) - (28.1%)
- Freddy Lim (Taiwan) - (21.4%)
- Jake Shuker & Monzer Darwish (Syria) - (9.7%)
- Sahil Makhija (India) - (8%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.9%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (6.4%)
- Rock Arka'n (Togo) - (4.9%)
- Roy Dipankar (India -'Extreme Nation' director) - (4.6%)
- Overthrust (Botswana) - (4.1%)
- Zarraza (Kazakhstan) - (3.5%)
- World Metal Congress (International) - (2.2%)*
* Later withdrawn by request of nominee.
Uruguayan-Finnish trio Upon Shadows announce new album "Modern Obscurantism"; first single released, pre-order now
Atmospheric female-fronted dark metal act Upon Shadows will release their new album Modern Obscurantism as a digital and physical digipak version with 12 pages booklet edition worldwide via Ground Media Group (due out October 18th). Now they stream first official single "Illusion of Freedom" watch it here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVB_OA4coZU&feature=youtu.be
Pre-order album here : groundmediagroup.bandcamp.com
Modern Obscurantism consists of 10 atmospheric dark/black metal tracks with twisted industrial influences. Album was mixed and mastered at Soundmix Studios, in Oulu, Finland by Mika Pohjola.
Natalia Arocena - Bass
Tamara Picardo - Keyboard, guitar & Vocals
Joonas Alaräihä - Session drummer for the album
Upon Shadows comments about the concept behind the new album:
"It establishes a parallelism between the obscurantism of the Middle Ages and the new forms of control and censorship, reminding us of the importance of keeping rebelliousness alive and fighting for utopias."
The 'Releases Of The Year' series are albums chosen by myself as the best release from each country / dependency known to have an official release in the year 2017. These are alphabetized in country order so are easy to navigate. Each award has national flag featured alongside the band name, Release Of The Year' and Facebook link (where provided)
"Release Of The Year" from Switzerland
Infinitas - "Civitas Interitus"
"Release Of The Year" from Syria
Maysaloon - "The Forgotten Dawn"
"Release Of The Year" from Taiwan
Beyond Cure - "Medication"
"Release Of The Year" from Thailand
Savage Deity - "Beyond the Sanctum"
"Release Of The Year" from Trinidad & Tobago
Klavium - "No...Metal....No...Life"
"Release Of The Year" from Turkey
"Persecutory Towards the Ultimate Extinction"
"Release Of The Year" from The UAE
Nervecell - "Past, Present...Torture"
"Release Of The Year" from The Ukraine
Ambivalence - "Hyena's Breath"
"Release Of The Year" from Uruguay
Soulless Faith - "No Life till Death"
"Release Of The Year" from The USA
Vintersea - "The Gravity of Fall"
"Release Of The Year" from Venezuela
Behated Reign - "Encounters of the Worst Kind"
"Release Of The Year" from Wales
Democratus - "Starting Again"
Oh wow! Back in 2008, Alestorm were mere newcomers and beginners - and yet they created a modern metal classic and a completely new subgenre. Captain Morgan`s Revenge marks the birth of Pirate Metal as we know it today and turned a couple of young Scotsmen into the hottest band the modern metal scene has to offer! Ten years later and sold-out shows all over the world, their boozy debut gets its well-deserved anniversary treatment and will be re-released on January 26th 2018 with Napalm Records!
Captain Morgan`s Revenge – 10th Anniversary Edition has received a fresh remix and remastering by original producer Lasse Lammert at his LSD studios and will be coming with a rejuvenated artwork. Alongside the 'Live At Summer Breeze' bonus disc, this re-release will be a true gem for all collectors, new fans and nostalgics alike!
The pirates about their upcoming Anniversary Edition:
"Oh wow! Can't believe it's been 10 years already since we made this record. We were all terrible musicians back then, and it was only thanks to the immense skill of our producer Lasse Lammert that we managed to salvage a passable bunch of songs. But anyway, it seems a bunch of you people seemed to like this album, so we decided to give it a bit of spit and polish for the 10th anniversary. NO, this is not one of those shitty 'brickwall' remasters that some bands do, and NO, this is not a re-recording by a bunch of disinterested and jaded old musicians. We've taken the original multitrack source material from 10 years ago (bad playing, cheap keyboards, awful vocals and everything), and just re-mixed the whole album to be punchier, tighter, more dynamic, and more sonically delightful than before. You probably won't even notice the difference! But it's there. And it'll sound awesome on vinyl, for the first time ever!"
Captain Morgan`s Revenge – 10th Anniversary Edition, coming as CD digi pack, LP gatefold and digital download, is now available for pre-order HERE!
1. Over the Seas
2. Captain Morgan`s Revenge
3. The Huntmaster
4. Nancy the Tavern Wench
5. Death before the Mast
6. Terror on the High Seas
7. Set Sail and Conquer
8. Of Treasure
9. Wenches & Mead
10. Flower of Scotland
CD 2 ( bonus disk )
1. Actual Human Intro (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
2. Walk the Plank (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
3. The Sunk'n Norwegian (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
4. Shipwrecked (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
5. Magnetic North (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
6. That Famous Ol' Spiced (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
7. Nancy the Tavern Wench (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
8. Keelhauled (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
9. Rumpelkombo (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
10. Drink (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
11. Captain Morgan's Revenge (Live at Summer Breeze 2015)
After the band just returned from the US Vans Warped Tour as well as an extensive European run this year, Alestorm will continue to drop their anchor live on the following dates. Turn on your eyepatch and let the rum flow freely here:
25.11.17 MX – Mexico City / Cosa Nostra
26.11.17 CO – Bogota / Auditorio Lumiere
28.11.17 PE – Lima / Mangos
01.12.17 BR – Curitiba / John Bull
02.12.17 BR – Sao Paulo / Tropical Butanta
03.12.17 BR – Porto Alegre / El Toro Pub
04.12.17 UY – Montevideo / Montevideo Music Box
06.12.17 AR – Rosario / Animal
07.12.17 AR – Buenos Aires / Uniclub
08.12.17 AR – Cordoba / Casa Babylon
09.12.17 CL – Santiago / Nuevo Club Rock & Guitarras
Piratefest UK Tour 2018:
with support from Rumahoy and The Dread Crew Of Oddwood
09.02.18 UK – Liverpool / O2 Academy
10.02.18 UK – Sheffield / Corporation
11.02.18 UK – Newcastle / Northumbria Uni
13.02.18 UK – Aberdeen / Garage
14.02.18 UK – Glasgow / O2 ABC
15.02.18 IRE – Belfast / Mandela Hall
16.02.18 IRE – Dublin / Tivoli
17.02.18 UK – Birmingham / HRH Metal
18.02.18 UK – Manchester / O2 Ritz
20.02.18 UK – Leeds / Stylus
21.02.18 UK – Norwich / Waterfront
22.02.18 UK – London / O2 Forum
23.02.18 UK – Brighton / Concorde 2
24.02.18 UK – Bristol / Motion
25.02.18 UK – Southampton / Engine Rooms
October 18th marked the release date for "Fatal Stigma of the Realist", Uruguayan Black / Gothic duo Upon Shadows' new single.
The album, which was mixed and mastered by Mika Pohjola at Soundmix recording studio in Oulu, Finland, also features Matti Torro on drums.
Vocalist / guitarist Tamara Picardo comments: “We are very pleased to have the special participation of Matti Torro on drums for the recording of our new single “Fatal stigma of the realist”. Matti is an excellent drummer with a wide musical experience, is part of the Finnish band Myon, and has collaborated on countless bands of different styles, what makes his participation in Upon Shadows very interesting from a creative point of view”.
Bandcamp : https://uponshadows.bandcamp.com/
Uruguay's Upon Shadows presents new single "Fatal Stigma Of The Realist"; new book announced
To celebrate their 15 year anniversary, female black / gothic metal Upon Shadows are releasing a book that contains all the band's lyrics, complete album informations, pictures and a detailed bio which was written by Kosta Bayss from Canada's Goetic Records.
The book can be ordered at Amazon.com or at www.lulu.com but is also available in pdf for free download at: http://tamarapicardo.blogspot.fi/2017/08/upon-shadows-book-of-lyrics.html
Upon Shadows have also published a brand new video for their latest single "Fatal Stigma Of The Realist", which you can watch at this location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsKrxUWNw9U
"Geometry Of Music" was recorded in Oulu, Finland and Montevideo, Uruguay and have a special participation of Kimmo Luttinen Luttinen (ex-Impaled Nazarene ,ex-Isänmaa, ex-Legenda, The Perforators, ex-Beherit, ex-Catamenia, ex-The Black League, ex-Plan E, ex-Terveet Kädet) on drums.
“We feel extremely grateful and honoured to have the participation of one of the biggest Finnish black metal legend!"
Upon Shadows - "Geometry Of Music"
Mixed and mastered by Mika Pohjola at Soundmix recording studio, Oulu, Finland.
Global Metal Apocalypse
Battle Of The Bands
Brutal Death Metal
Line Up Change
Play Through Video
Violent Pop Metal
Wacken Open Air