So we now know who the winners of the GMA Awards 2021 were, but to wrap up the event in it's entirety and bid farewell to 2021 and usher in 2022, we must turn to the last bunch of awards - 'Metal Release By Country / Area'.
Usually these would include the flag of the band's nation, but given the events in Afghanistan this year among other political turmoil, I felt it would be prudent to forgo any flags and just list the winners.... so without further ado here are the....
"Under The Verdict"
"The Search For
The Dark Star"
"Beyond Unseen Gateways"
"In The Mouth Of Madness"
Black Serpent Ritual
BOSNIA - HERZEGOVINA
"Abyss Of Lost Souls"
"A Whole New Land"
"暮色绽放 Twilight Blooming"
Act Of Denial
Cycles Of Revocation
"Capítulo 1: Repugnante Negocio Del Terror"
Ghosts Of Atlantis
"A Legacy Of Vengeance"
"Lullabies Of Mountain Beasts"
"Empire Of Sins"
ISLE OF MAN
Serenity In Murder
"Midnight Bloody Dances"
"Te Ho Ngeza"
"Cold In Our Hearts"
"Sub Cultura Urii"
Scorn Of Creation
"Todas Las Sangres"
"Eulogy For The Gods"
Dethrone The Corrupted
"The Amygdaloid Decay"
Seraph In Travail
"A Black Death Incense"
"Covered in Concrete"
From The Abyss
"Carving The Fires Of Akhet"
"Chronicles Of War"
"Throne Of Control"
Her Last Sight
"Monument Of Reclamation"
"Mankind / Obsolete"
"Decades Of Suffering"
"The Constitutional Sacrifice"
The Iridium Experiment
"The Order Of Satan's Rage"
Deep Inside Us
"Untitled 2021 Demo"
"Death To Traitors"
"The Ultimate Dream. Plan B: Disposal Of Humanity"
"Belong To Hell"
"Ashes Of Dead Worlds"
"Annihilation Of Mankind"
"Vol. 4: Toxicolandia"
Apes Of God
"En El Recinto De La Tempestad"
Sol Draconi Septem
Beneath The Void
"Attack Of The 50ft Lobsters"
"The Inheritance Of Beauty"
"Gurus Of Destruction"
"Chaos Of Fear"
Becoming The Entity
"Signs Of Saturn"
"Empire Of Glass"
Robot Death Monkey
"Shame Of The Proud Angel"
"A Common Theories"
"Prelude To The Apocalypse"
"A Lip To Earth, A Lip To Heaven & A Tongue To The Stars"
"Punishment In The World To Come"
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
"Terror in Thrace"
The Only Survivor
"The Birth Of Anger"
"Thy Kingdom Kong"
So without further ado, we present the winners of the
2021 Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) awards.
All categories except "Release Of The Year"
came with an 'other' option.
See you in December 2022
Global Metal Release Of The Year
WARRIOR OF LIGHT
Breakthrough African Band
Breakthrough Asian Band
Breakthrough European Band
Breakthrough North & Central American Band
Breakthrough Oceanian Band
Breakthrough South American Band
Breakthrough UK Band
BEYOND EXTINCTION (ESSEX)
GHOSTS OF ATLANTIS (ESSEX / SUFFOLK)
Breakthrough International Band
Music Video Of The Year
Cradle Of Filth - Necromantic Fantasies
Cuban black metal pioneers, Mephisto, are about to release their newest album Pentafixion via Wormholedeath Records. Mephisto have been active since 1997 and left their mark on the Cuban metal scene with their unique sound and style. The band will unleash their first single soon.
Mephisto states about signing with Wormholedeath Records:-
"On behalf of all members of Mephisto we wish to announce that we have been offered a contract with the long established and well respected Italian label WormHoleDeath Records.It is our pleasure to announce that after some discussion, Mephisto have accepted the offer and now enthusiastically join the label. We can’t wait to start working with the team at WormHoleDeath after following their label and their artists for many years. To now be considered part of this family is a long awaited dream come true. We are excited to be bringing our style of Cuban Black Metal to the world thanks to the relationships WormHoleDeath has with its partners including Warner / Chappell Music Holland BV and The Orchard Inc. (Sony Music Ent).
We look forward to our first release with Worm Hole Death which is our full length album “Pentafixion”, an album that we have been working on for the best part of 2 years. Who knows, maybe the back catalogue will be released sometime on WHD too! We’d like to officially thank Carlo from WHD for being so passionate about securing us to the label. The work and dedication shown by him is incredible! From finding us in Subtle Death Magazine, to reaching out to its editor (Omar Vega) to contact us, to the late night calls to our management (in Australia), all the way through to walking us through the deal. We couldn’t be happier knowing that our music and our career are in great hands with WHD.
So what can you expect from us now?
Well just because you can see the mountain doesn’t mean the climb has finished. Now the hard work begins to reward our fans for their patience waiting on our new album and to show WHD that the new kids on the block came to kick heads and take names."
Look out world…. Mephisto, the pioneers of Black Metal in Cuba have just been unleashed on the world and it’s all thanks to WormHoleDeath Records!
- Osney Cardoso Riaño -Vocals
- Alexander Jorge Parra - Bass
- Kevin Chaperón - Guitars
- Fabián F. Rodríguez González - Guitars
- David Leonardo Nieves Naranjo - Drums
The band Mephisto was founded in September 1997 in the city of Holguín, Cuba. Mephisto was the first Cuban metal group to combine a multitude of organic and orchestral sounds to emerge as the pioneers of the Black Metal genre in Cuba. Building on their unique sound, the band continued to push contemporary boundaries by appearing on stage in full make-up and costumes, another pioneering first, which caused a great movement within the national scene.
With momentum building, 2018/2019 saw Mephisto welcome international representation with a view of developing a larger global following. Immediately Mephisto rebranded their image, logo and on stage style whilst simultaneously moving towards a more digital platform to facilitate the advancements in technology being felt throughout the music industry. With a grittier live performance harkening back to a more traditional hard edged Mephisto appearance, old fans and new ones alike, resonate with the Pioneers of Cuban Black Metal.
Accepting invitations to appear at "The Beast in the Undercity”, Pinar del Rio, Bayamo Musicfest and Romerias de Mayo festivals, Mephisto quickly expanded these shows to encompass the entire nation; kicking off their “Haciendo Metal Cuba” tour in mid March 2019. Completing the run of dates in early May 2019, Mephisto once again returned to the studio to continue the development of their highly anticipated 2020 album “Pentafixion”. The band’s first single from this album titled “Pentafixion” was completed with filming for the complementing video clip also undertaken.
The video was shot on location in Havana by renowned Producer and Film Maker Victor Vinuesa (Vitiko) and demonstrates perfectly Mephisto’s professionalism, dedication and passion to their craft. Following up on this single, Mephisto under took it’s first tour of Nicaragua in late 2019 selling out venues and building a new fan base in the heart of Managua. A national tour of Cuba is now slated for mid 2021 before returning to Nicaragua for a run of dates later in 2021.
After one month of voting, nearly 6,000 votes cast and countless sharing across all social media platforms by us and nominees alike, the time has come to announce the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
But before that happens, there will be a change to how the nominees are cast. For 10 months of the year we will be running a series of rounds from which the 10 finalists will be recognised for the annual event.
The system will work as thus: nominees elected in the month of January are voted for in February... February nominees voted in March, etc and finishes with nominees in October being voted for in November - the finalists will then be voted for across the month of December and into early January 2021; finishing 8th January 2021.
Now that's put out into the open, we can finally reveal the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
Release Of The Year
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (19.8%)
- Eluveitie - Ategnatos (16.6%)
- Jinjer - Macro (13.9%)
- Oomph! - Ritual (9.2%)
- Kryptos - Afterburner (7.4%)
- Tyr - Hel (7.1%)
- Unleash The Archers - Explorers (7.1%)
- Myrath - Shehili (7%)
- Sabaton - The Great War (6.9%)
- The Hu - The Gereg (4.9%)
Best Live Act
- Jinjer (The Ukraine) - (27.6%)
- Eluveitie (Switzerland) - (15.2%)
- Sabaton (Sweden) - (11.3%)
- Alien Weaponry (New Zealand) - (9.9%)
- Myrath (Tunisia) - (9.1%)
- Lacuna Coil (Italy) - (8.2%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (7.2%)
- Crescent (Egypt) - (4.9%)
- Hatari (Iceland) - (3.6%)
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (3%)
Breakthrough African Metal Band
- Mythos (Egypt) - (35.5%)
- Berzek (Algeria) - (11.3%)
- My Veins (Madagascar) - (9%)
- Iron Sliver (Gabon) - (8.1%)
- Woltemade (South Africa) - (6.7%)
- Roar Of Heroes (Cameroon) - (6.7%)
- Nebulosa Difusa (Angola) - (5.9%)
- Oydis (Libya) - (5.6%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (5.6%)
- Kawn (Morocco) - (5.5%)
Breakthrough Asian Metal Band
- Trainwreck (Bangladesh) - (35%)
- Mary's Blood (Japan) - (21.1%)
- Bloodywood (India) - (10.4%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.6%)
- The Dead Sea (Jordan) - (5.5%)
- Ekwon (Iran) - (5.4%)
- Holy Dragons (Kazakhstan) - (5.1%)
- Reign In Slumber (Cambodia) - (4.2%)
- Afreet (Afghanistan) - (3.3%)
- Fecundation (South Korea) - (3.3%)
Breakthrough European Metal Band
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (17.1%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (12.7%)
- Elusion (Belgium) - (11.6%)
- Setheist (Poland) - (11.2%)
- Synlakross (Spain) - (8.8%)
- Scarleth (The Ukraine) - (8.2%)
- E-An-Na (Romania) - (7.9%)
- Awakening Sun (Lithuania) - (7.8%)
- Kobold (Serbia) - (7.3%)
- Crossbones (Albania) - (7.3%)
Breakthrough UK Metal Band
- Black Pyre (Wales) - (20.6%)
- Aeons (Isle Of Man) - (14.6%)
- Inferiem (Scotland) - (10.4%)
- Fear Bound (England) - (10.3%)
- Zombified (Northern Ireland) - (9.9%)
- Pravitas (England) - (9.6%)
- Dog Tired (Scotland) - (7.5%)
- Djinova (England) - (6.9%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (6.2%)
- Byzanthian Neckbeard (Guernsey) - (3.9%)
Breakthrough North & Central American Metal Band
- Astaroth Incarnate (Canada) - (32.8%)
- Human Equation (Mexico) - (11.6%)
- From The Graves (Cuba) - (10.9%)
- Reactor (El Salvador) - (8.4%)
- Stromptha (Greenland) - (7.6%)
- Athica (Panama) - (7.5%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.1%)
- Gangrena Cerebral (Dominican Republic) - (5.2%)
- Transgresión (Puerto Rico) - (5.1%)
- Aversia (Nicaragua) - (4.9%)
Breakthrough Oceanian Metal Band
- Scythian Fate (Australia) - (26.2%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (16.1%)
- Hunt The Witch (New Zealand) - (13.1%)
- Abide Till Death (Papua New Guinea) - (8%)
- Shepherd's Reign (New Zealand) - (7.6%)
- Surrender The Thief (Guam) - (6.6%)
- Redsphere (New Caledonia) - (6%)
- The Relativ (Fiji) - (5.9%)
- Dropvkal (Vanuatu) - (5.5%)
- Pōturu (French Polynesia) - (5%)
Breakthrough South American Metal Band
- Suicidal Drinkers (Argentina) - (17.1%)
- Visceral Decay (Ecuador) - (13.3%)
- Maze Of Terror (Peru) - (12.2%)
- Holder Of Souls (Brazil) - (12.1%)
- Inner Betrayer (Colombia) - (9.5%)
- Weight Of Emptiness (Chile) - (8.7%)
- Khymor (Paraguay) - (7.9%)
- Territory (Uruguay) - (7.1%)
- Worship The Pestilence (Bolivia) - (6.8%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) - (5.4%)
Breakthrough International Metal Band
- Bloodywood (India) - (24.4%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (11.4%)
- Infected Rain (Moldova) - (11.4%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (9.8%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (8.7%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (8.3%)
- Ade! (Italy) - (8%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.7%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) + Overthrust (Botswana) - (5.6%) - tied on vote numbers.
Festival Of The Year
- Bloodstock Open Air (England) - (28.4%)
- Heavy MTL (Canada) - (22%)
- Bangalore Open Air (India) - (17.8%)
- Copenhell (Denmark) - (6.4%)
- Eindhoven Metal Meeting (The Netherlands) - (5.4%)
- Goathell (Croatia) - (4.5%)
- Hard Rock Laager (Estonia) - (4.5%)
- Eistnaflug (Iceland) - (4.1%)
- Kaltenbach Open Air (Austria) - (3.8%)
- Hammersonic (Indonesia) - (3.1%)
Music Video Of The Year
- Rammstein - 'Deutschland' - (21.6%)
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Sugar' - (21.2%)
- Eluveitie - 'Ategnatos' - (12.8%)
- Jinjer - 'On The Top' - (11.6%)
- Myrath - 'Born To Survive' - (8%)
- Sabaton - 'Bismarck' - (7.9%)
- Alien Weaponry - 'Blinded' - (7.2%)
- Arka'n - 'Tears Of The Dead' - (4.6%)
- Underside - 'Wild' - (3.2%)
- Oomph! - 'Tausend Mann Und Ein Befehl' (1.9%)
Global Metal Ambassador 2019
- Gojira (France) - (28.1%)
- Freddy Lim (Taiwan) - (21.4%)
- Jake Shuker & Monzer Darwish (Syria) - (9.7%)
- Sahil Makhija (India) - (8%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.9%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (6.4%)
- Rock Arka'n (Togo) - (4.9%)
- Roy Dipankar (India -'Extreme Nation' director) - (4.6%)
- Overthrust (Botswana) - (4.1%)
- Zarraza (Kazakhstan) - (3.5%)
- World Metal Congress (International) - (2.2%)*
* Later withdrawn by request of nominee.
The 'Releases Of The Year' series are albums chosen by myself as the best release from each country / dependency known to have an official release in the year 2017. These are alphabetized in country order so are easy to navigate. Each award has national flag featured alongside the band name, Release Of The Year' and Facebook link (where provided)
On September 29th, 2017, Narbeleth will unleash their new album "Indomitvs“ via Folter Records. On their fourth album the Cuban Black Metallers will continue their path of the highly recommended precursor "Through Blackness and Remote Places“. Now Narbeleth have released a new song called "Herald of the dawn“. You can listen to it right here:
All further information about Narbeleth are available here:
NARBELETH on Facebook
Folter Records Homepage
Cuban Black Metallers Narbeleth have announced a new album! It will be entitled "Indomitvs" and is set to be released via Folter Records at the end of September. At the moment, the vocals are being recorded. After this, the album will mastered by Ole Hartvigsen (Kampfar). Here is the so far confirmed track-list:
1. The Distortion of Life
2. When the Sun has Died
3. The Lower Point of the Star
4. Herald of the Dawn
5. The First to Rise
6. Via Profane Crafts
7. Sinister Laberynths of Human Soul
NARBELETH on Facebook
Folter Records Homepage
Part 1/5 of releases of the year.
These releases represent national scenes and are not a general 'release of the year' (just to clarify)
Click your flag to see what release this year is considered the best from your national scene of 2016 - these are picked by the editor.
Global Metal Apocalypse
Battle Of The Bands
Brutal Death Metal
Line Up Change
Play Through Video
Violent Pop Metal
Wacken Open Air