So we now know who the winners of the GMA Awards 2021 were, but to wrap up the event in it's entirety and bid farewell to 2021 and usher in 2022, we must turn to the last bunch of awards - 'Metal Release By Country / Area'.
Usually these would include the flag of the band's nation, but given the events in Afghanistan this year among other political turmoil, I felt it would be prudent to forgo any flags and just list the winners.... so without further ado here are the....
"Under The Verdict"
"The Search For
The Dark Star"
"Beyond Unseen Gateways"
"In The Mouth Of Madness"
Black Serpent Ritual
BOSNIA - HERZEGOVINA
"Abyss Of Lost Souls"
"A Whole New Land"
"暮色绽放 Twilight Blooming"
Act Of Denial
Cycles Of Revocation
"Capítulo 1: Repugnante Negocio Del Terror"
Ghosts Of Atlantis
"A Legacy Of Vengeance"
"Lullabies Of Mountain Beasts"
"Empire Of Sins"
ISLE OF MAN
Serenity In Murder
"Midnight Bloody Dances"
"Te Ho Ngeza"
"Cold In Our Hearts"
"Sub Cultura Urii"
Scorn Of Creation
"Todas Las Sangres"
"Eulogy For The Gods"
Dethrone The Corrupted
"The Amygdaloid Decay"
Seraph In Travail
"A Black Death Incense"
"Covered in Concrete"
From The Abyss
"Carving The Fires Of Akhet"
"Chronicles Of War"
"Throne Of Control"
Her Last Sight
"Monument Of Reclamation"
"Mankind / Obsolete"
"Decades Of Suffering"
"The Constitutional Sacrifice"
The Iridium Experiment
"The Order Of Satan's Rage"
Deep Inside Us
"Untitled 2021 Demo"
"Death To Traitors"
"The Ultimate Dream. Plan B: Disposal Of Humanity"
"Belong To Hell"
"Ashes Of Dead Worlds"
"Annihilation Of Mankind"
"Vol. 4: Toxicolandia"
Apes Of God
"En El Recinto De La Tempestad"
Sol Draconi Septem
Beneath The Void
"Attack Of The 50ft Lobsters"
"The Inheritance Of Beauty"
"Gurus Of Destruction"
"Chaos Of Fear"
Becoming The Entity
"Signs Of Saturn"
"Empire Of Glass"
Robot Death Monkey
"Shame Of The Proud Angel"
"A Common Theories"
"Prelude To The Apocalypse"
"A Lip To Earth, A Lip To Heaven & A Tongue To The Stars"
"Punishment In The World To Come"
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
"Terror in Thrace"
The Only Survivor
"The Birth Of Anger"
"Thy Kingdom Kong"
So without further ado, we present the winners of the
2021 Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) awards.
All categories except "Release Of The Year"
came with an 'other' option.
See you in December 2022
Global Metal Release Of The Year
WARRIOR OF LIGHT
Breakthrough African Band
Breakthrough Asian Band
Breakthrough European Band
Breakthrough North & Central American Band
Breakthrough Oceanian Band
Breakthrough South American Band
Breakthrough UK Band
BEYOND EXTINCTION (ESSEX)
GHOSTS OF ATLANTIS (ESSEX / SUFFOLK)
Breakthrough International Band
Music Video Of The Year
Cradle Of Filth - Necromantic Fantasies
South American death cult Reptilium will release a new four-song EP April 17 on Slam World Wide.
The Reptile Sect is back with a new set of hierophantic transmissions: Adrenochromacy. This follow-up to 2019’s debut EP Conspiranoic conveys even more information about the truth of worldwide enslavement, abduction, and reveals a new musical aspect of Reptilium’s blistering ufonaut horror.
A true DIY project, Adrenochromacy was recorded, engineered and produced by Reptilium’s Nirah (guitar & vocals) and Cecrops (drums) at Valley of the Death in Quito, Ecuador. Music for the EP was written and recorded by Nirah, with drums, cover art, lyrics and vocals by Cecrops. Mixing and mastering duties were handled by Cody Fuentes at Rapture Recordings, Los Angeles, California.
Reptilium, also known as “The Reptile Sect” is a death cult originated in the depth of South America's cursed mountain ranges, with the goal of establishing a portal for their so called "forbidden truth" to come through.
After one month of voting, nearly 6,000 votes cast and countless sharing across all social media platforms by us and nominees alike, the time has come to announce the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
But before that happens, there will be a change to how the nominees are cast. For 10 months of the year we will be running a series of rounds from which the 10 finalists will be recognised for the annual event.
The system will work as thus: nominees elected in the month of January are voted for in February... February nominees voted in March, etc and finishes with nominees in October being voted for in November - the finalists will then be voted for across the month of December and into early January 2021; finishing 8th January 2021.
Now that's put out into the open, we can finally reveal the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
Release Of The Year
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (19.8%)
- Eluveitie - Ategnatos (16.6%)
- Jinjer - Macro (13.9%)
- Oomph! - Ritual (9.2%)
- Kryptos - Afterburner (7.4%)
- Tyr - Hel (7.1%)
- Unleash The Archers - Explorers (7.1%)
- Myrath - Shehili (7%)
- Sabaton - The Great War (6.9%)
- The Hu - The Gereg (4.9%)
Best Live Act
- Jinjer (The Ukraine) - (27.6%)
- Eluveitie (Switzerland) - (15.2%)
- Sabaton (Sweden) - (11.3%)
- Alien Weaponry (New Zealand) - (9.9%)
- Myrath (Tunisia) - (9.1%)
- Lacuna Coil (Italy) - (8.2%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (7.2%)
- Crescent (Egypt) - (4.9%)
- Hatari (Iceland) - (3.6%)
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (3%)
Breakthrough African Metal Band
- Mythos (Egypt) - (35.5%)
- Berzek (Algeria) - (11.3%)
- My Veins (Madagascar) - (9%)
- Iron Sliver (Gabon) - (8.1%)
- Woltemade (South Africa) - (6.7%)
- Roar Of Heroes (Cameroon) - (6.7%)
- Nebulosa Difusa (Angola) - (5.9%)
- Oydis (Libya) - (5.6%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (5.6%)
- Kawn (Morocco) - (5.5%)
Breakthrough Asian Metal Band
- Trainwreck (Bangladesh) - (35%)
- Mary's Blood (Japan) - (21.1%)
- Bloodywood (India) - (10.4%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.6%)
- The Dead Sea (Jordan) - (5.5%)
- Ekwon (Iran) - (5.4%)
- Holy Dragons (Kazakhstan) - (5.1%)
- Reign In Slumber (Cambodia) - (4.2%)
- Afreet (Afghanistan) - (3.3%)
- Fecundation (South Korea) - (3.3%)
Breakthrough European Metal Band
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (17.1%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (12.7%)
- Elusion (Belgium) - (11.6%)
- Setheist (Poland) - (11.2%)
- Synlakross (Spain) - (8.8%)
- Scarleth (The Ukraine) - (8.2%)
- E-An-Na (Romania) - (7.9%)
- Awakening Sun (Lithuania) - (7.8%)
- Kobold (Serbia) - (7.3%)
- Crossbones (Albania) - (7.3%)
Breakthrough UK Metal Band
- Black Pyre (Wales) - (20.6%)
- Aeons (Isle Of Man) - (14.6%)
- Inferiem (Scotland) - (10.4%)
- Fear Bound (England) - (10.3%)
- Zombified (Northern Ireland) - (9.9%)
- Pravitas (England) - (9.6%)
- Dog Tired (Scotland) - (7.5%)
- Djinova (England) - (6.9%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (6.2%)
- Byzanthian Neckbeard (Guernsey) - (3.9%)
Breakthrough North & Central American Metal Band
- Astaroth Incarnate (Canada) - (32.8%)
- Human Equation (Mexico) - (11.6%)
- From The Graves (Cuba) - (10.9%)
- Reactor (El Salvador) - (8.4%)
- Stromptha (Greenland) - (7.6%)
- Athica (Panama) - (7.5%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.1%)
- Gangrena Cerebral (Dominican Republic) - (5.2%)
- Transgresión (Puerto Rico) - (5.1%)
- Aversia (Nicaragua) - (4.9%)
Breakthrough Oceanian Metal Band
- Scythian Fate (Australia) - (26.2%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (16.1%)
- Hunt The Witch (New Zealand) - (13.1%)
- Abide Till Death (Papua New Guinea) - (8%)
- Shepherd's Reign (New Zealand) - (7.6%)
- Surrender The Thief (Guam) - (6.6%)
- Redsphere (New Caledonia) - (6%)
- The Relativ (Fiji) - (5.9%)
- Dropvkal (Vanuatu) - (5.5%)
- Pōturu (French Polynesia) - (5%)
Breakthrough South American Metal Band
- Suicidal Drinkers (Argentina) - (17.1%)
- Visceral Decay (Ecuador) - (13.3%)
- Maze Of Terror (Peru) - (12.2%)
- Holder Of Souls (Brazil) - (12.1%)
- Inner Betrayer (Colombia) - (9.5%)
- Weight Of Emptiness (Chile) - (8.7%)
- Khymor (Paraguay) - (7.9%)
- Territory (Uruguay) - (7.1%)
- Worship The Pestilence (Bolivia) - (6.8%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) - (5.4%)
Breakthrough International Metal Band
- Bloodywood (India) - (24.4%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (11.4%)
- Infected Rain (Moldova) - (11.4%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (9.8%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (8.7%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (8.3%)
- Ade! (Italy) - (8%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.7%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) + Overthrust (Botswana) - (5.6%) - tied on vote numbers.
Festival Of The Year
- Bloodstock Open Air (England) - (28.4%)
- Heavy MTL (Canada) - (22%)
- Bangalore Open Air (India) - (17.8%)
- Copenhell (Denmark) - (6.4%)
- Eindhoven Metal Meeting (The Netherlands) - (5.4%)
- Goathell (Croatia) - (4.5%)
- Hard Rock Laager (Estonia) - (4.5%)
- Eistnaflug (Iceland) - (4.1%)
- Kaltenbach Open Air (Austria) - (3.8%)
- Hammersonic (Indonesia) - (3.1%)
Music Video Of The Year
- Rammstein - 'Deutschland' - (21.6%)
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Sugar' - (21.2%)
- Eluveitie - 'Ategnatos' - (12.8%)
- Jinjer - 'On The Top' - (11.6%)
- Myrath - 'Born To Survive' - (8%)
- Sabaton - 'Bismarck' - (7.9%)
- Alien Weaponry - 'Blinded' - (7.2%)
- Arka'n - 'Tears Of The Dead' - (4.6%)
- Underside - 'Wild' - (3.2%)
- Oomph! - 'Tausend Mann Und Ein Befehl' (1.9%)
Global Metal Ambassador 2019
- Gojira (France) - (28.1%)
- Freddy Lim (Taiwan) - (21.4%)
- Jake Shuker & Monzer Darwish (Syria) - (9.7%)
- Sahil Makhija (India) - (8%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.9%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (6.4%)
- Rock Arka'n (Togo) - (4.9%)
- Roy Dipankar (India -'Extreme Nation' director) - (4.6%)
- Overthrust (Botswana) - (4.1%)
- Zarraza (Kazakhstan) - (3.5%)
- World Metal Congress (International) - (2.2%)*
* Later withdrawn by request of nominee.
The 'Releases Of The Year' series are albums chosen by myself as the best release from each country / dependency known to have an official release in the year 2017. These are alphabetized in country order so are easy to navigate. Each award has national flag featured alongside the band name, Release Of The Year' and Facebook link (where provided)
Norwegian extreme metal titans Ancient have announced their Latin American tour dates and cities, kicking off on September 7th in Mexico. Check out the tour dates below.
Ancient Frontman Zel stated:
"We are very excited and proud to announce the Ancient tour in Latin America in September. This has in many ways been a dream come true for us, to finally tour this corner of the world. The tour that took place in 2007 was not with a full band line-up and I was not even there myself, but this time we will bring the most powerful and energetic line up Ancient has ever had, with Mr. Nick Barker himself on the drums!!
A lot of fans from countries like Honduras, Puerto Rico, Bolivia, Venezuela and especially Brazil, have been writing to us asking why we will not visit these places during the tour. The thing is, that it does not depend on the band, we would play in every single country if we had the chance. These decisions are always made by the booking agency and the local promoters in each country. Sometimes the expenses (especially with travelling) are simply too high to make it happen, but we will do our best to return again with an even bigger tour next time !!! Let's keep the Ancient spirit alive !!"
South American Tour 2017:
September 7 Mexico - Merida Yucatan
September 8 Mexico - San Luis Potosi
September 9 Mexico - Mexico City
September 10 Guatemala - Guatemala City
September 12 El Salvador - San Salvador
September 13 Costa Rica - San José
September 15 Colombia - Cali
September 16 Colombia - Bogotà
September 17 Ecuador - Quito
September 19 Peru - Lima
September 20 Chile - Santiago
September 21 Argentina - Buenos Aires
ANCIENT: http://www.facebook.com/ancientband | http://www.ancientband.net
EMP LABEL GROUP: http://empmerch.com – http://emplabelgroup.com
SOULSELLER RECORDS: http://www.soulsellerrecords.com
Part 1/5 of releases of the year.
These releases represent national scenes and are not a general 'release of the year' (just to clarify)
Click your flag to see what release this year is considered the best from your national scene of 2016 - these are picked by the editor.
Grammy® Award-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Metallica will unleash “Atlas, Rise!” to fans this coming Halloween at 3:00 PM EST / 12:00 PM PST / 8.00 PM BST. The song is the third track to be released from Metallica’s forthcoming album, Hardwired…To Self-Destruct, due for release on the band’s own Blackened Recordings on November 18th and follows previously released tracks “Hardwired” and “Moth Into Flame”.
To help fans get into the Halloween spirit, starting this Friday, October 28th, Metallica fans around the world can visit select independent record stores for the chance to obtain a free limited edition Hardwired…To Self-Destruct Halloween mask. Inside of each mask fans will find a special access code that will allow them to hear “Atlas, Rise!” 30-minutes prior to its official release on Halloween.
Hardwired…To Self-Destruct is Metallica’s first studio album since 2008’s multi-platinum Death Magnetic. The album was produced by Greg Fidelman, who engineered and mixed Death Magnetic, and is available for pre-order at www.Metallica.com in various configurations including: CD, Vinyl, Digital, Deluxe, and Deluxe Deluxe Versions.
The band have started to roll out dates for their ‘WorldWired’ Tour – which promises to take them to all corners of the globe. Additional shows are being added all the time.
Oct 26th Coliseo De Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Oct 29th Parque Bicentenario, Quito, Ecuador
Nov 1st Hipodromo De Los Andes, Bogota, Colombia
Nov 3rd Estadio Cementos Progreso, Guatamala City, Guatemala
Nov 5th Estadio Nacional, San Jose, Costa Rica
Jan 11th 2017 Gocheok Sky Dome, Seoul, South Korea
Feb 3rd Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Feb 5th Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Feb 7th Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Feb 9th Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mar 25th – 26th Mar Lollapalooza, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mar 31st – Apr 1st Lollapalooza, Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 1st - Apr 2nd Lolloapalooza, Santiago Chile
You can't miss out on a killer death metal band from Ecuador - the label unearthing all these underrated gems is Satanath Records from Russia and another one from Venezuela is on the way to you too. Here's some rave feedback for it -
"utterly murderous and merciless" - No Clean Singing (US)
"death metal in its own classic form... very good!" - Deadly Storm (Czech Republic)
"The abilities of the musicians are quite high" - XXL Rock (Germany)
"respectable slab of gore-rotten Death Metal" - Global Metal Apocalypse (UK)
South America is rife with some fantastic acts and while bands from Brazil and Chile are well documented, here's a gem of a band from a lesser known country that is Ecuador. As you would expect, the music is merciless, savage, and also oozing with talent. If you like old school death metal, the primal kind, you are bound to be satisfied. These guys invoke the spirits of bands like Sarcofago, Sepultura, Torturer, Sadism and come up with a form of music that's every bit as good. The band don't waste any time in intros or interludes, but for the duration of just over 35 minutes, clobber you to your rightful senses.
There is something that's shaking the perception of metal in Ecuador, and Epidemia here couldn't be a better ambassador. They'll leap at you and tear your head off before you even think of a dismissive nod just because it's not from your favourite country, yet. 'Leprocomio' is an album that can stand head-to-head with your favourite old school album this year, with the only difference being, they're brutal, vicious and unrelenting and won't pander to your prejudices.
Here's a badass-sounding one on Satanath Records (perennially underrated label!), which got premiered to a great response over at No Clean Singing here.
South America is rife with some fantastic acts and while bands from Brazil and Chile are well documented, here's a gem of a band from a lesser known country that is Ecuador. As you would expect, the music is merciless, savage, and also oozing with talent. If you like old school death metal, the primal kind, you are bound to be satisfied. These guys invoke the spirits of bands like Sarcofago, Sepultura, Torturer, Sadism and come up with a form of music that's every bit as good. The band don't waste any time in intros or interludes, but for the duration of just over 35 minutes, clobber you to your rightful senses. There is something that's shaking the perception of metal in Ecuador, and Epidemia here couldn't be a better ambassador. They'll leap at you and tear your head off before you even think of a dismissive nod just because it's not from your favourite country, yet. 'Leprocomio' is an album that can stand head-to-head with your favourite old school album this year, with the only difference being, they're brutal, vicious and unrelenting and won't pander to your prejudices.
Epidemia Official Facebook
Global Metal Apocalypse
Battle Of The Bands
Brutal Death Metal
Isle Of Man
Line Up Change
Neue Deutsche Harte
Papua New Guinea
Play Through Video
United Arab Emirates
Violent Pop Metal