So we now know who the winners of the GMA Awards 2021 were, but to wrap up the event in it's entirety and bid farewell to 2021 and usher in 2022, we must turn to the last bunch of awards - 'Metal Release By Country / Area'.
Usually these would include the flag of the band's nation, but given the events in Afghanistan this year among other political turmoil, I felt it would be prudent to forgo any flags and just list the winners.... so without further ado here are the....
"Under The Verdict"
"The Search For
The Dark Star"
"Beyond Unseen Gateways"
"In The Mouth Of Madness"
Black Serpent Ritual
BOSNIA - HERZEGOVINA
"Abyss Of Lost Souls"
"A Whole New Land"
"暮色绽放 Twilight Blooming"
Act Of Denial
Cycles Of Revocation
"Capítulo 1: Repugnante Negocio Del Terror"
Ghosts Of Atlantis
"A Legacy Of Vengeance"
"Lullabies Of Mountain Beasts"
"Empire Of Sins"
ISLE OF MAN
Serenity In Murder
"Midnight Bloody Dances"
"Te Ho Ngeza"
"Cold In Our Hearts"
"Sub Cultura Urii"
Scorn Of Creation
"Todas Las Sangres"
"Eulogy For The Gods"
Dethrone The Corrupted
"The Amygdaloid Decay"
Seraph In Travail
"A Black Death Incense"
"Covered in Concrete"
From The Abyss
"Carving The Fires Of Akhet"
"Chronicles Of War"
"Throne Of Control"
Her Last Sight
"Monument Of Reclamation"
"Mankind / Obsolete"
"Decades Of Suffering"
"The Constitutional Sacrifice"
The Iridium Experiment
"The Order Of Satan's Rage"
Deep Inside Us
"Untitled 2021 Demo"
"Death To Traitors"
"The Ultimate Dream. Plan B: Disposal Of Humanity"
"Belong To Hell"
"Ashes Of Dead Worlds"
"Annihilation Of Mankind"
"Vol. 4: Toxicolandia"
Apes Of God
"En El Recinto De La Tempestad"
Sol Draconi Septem
Beneath The Void
"Attack Of The 50ft Lobsters"
"The Inheritance Of Beauty"
"Gurus Of Destruction"
"Chaos Of Fear"
Becoming The Entity
"Signs Of Saturn"
"Empire Of Glass"
Robot Death Monkey
"Shame Of The Proud Angel"
"A Common Theories"
"Prelude To The Apocalypse"
"A Lip To Earth, A Lip To Heaven & A Tongue To The Stars"
"Punishment In The World To Come"
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
"Terror in Thrace"
The Only Survivor
"The Birth Of Anger"
"Thy Kingdom Kong"
Recently reformed Jordanian thrash metal band Esodic has revealed a guitar playthrough for one of the band’s new tracks, “Undoing.”
Watch guitarist Michael Nolasco’s playthrough today via Ultimate Guitar at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/ug_exclusive_premiere_jordanian_metal_band_esodic_shares_guitar_playthrough_of_undoing.html.
“Undoing” was mixed and mastered by Damien Rainaud (Dragon Force, Once Human, Fear Factory) and produced by Nolasco with bassist Kevin McCombs. The song features a guest appearance by Jeff Potts (Vocana, Mantic Ritual, Warbringer) on lead guitar in addition to Nolasco.
"‘Undoing’ is about the experience of shedding old skin and ridding old versions of oneself, and how those versions will come back to haunt you,” says drummer Zed Amarin.
Born and bred in the underbelly of Amman, Jordan, nearly 20 years ago, Esodic’s sound was inspired by legendary old school - albeit culturally forbidden - thrash and death metal bands like Slayer, Testament and Kreator. Fuelled by an insatiable obsession with metal music and anger and frustration resulting from the significant socio-political strife in their country, the band became a regular fixture in the underground music scene of Amman.
Esodic quickly stood out from other local bands, distinguished by their own style of fast-paced, loud thrash metal. Not long after forming in 2003, they began booking gigs and forming a solid loyal following throughout Jordan. Unfortunately, gaining attention for any countercultural activity was no small matter in Jordan and was met with great repercussions. Members of the band were regularly harassed, detained and arrested, and underground shows were often cancelled or raided.
In 2005, Esodic entered an international music competition, The Global Battle of the Bands, marking the first time the group was able to play publicly to a wide audience. Esodic destroyed with their performance, receiving massive praise and positive feedback for their unique sound and onstage presence. In addition to making their way to the finals, Esodic also received the highest number of fan votes in the competition. In the end, the thrashers came in second, but the experience proved Esodic to be a force to be reckoned with worldwide.
Esodic continued to play local shows until 2008 when the Jordanian Intelligence Department raided a show, sentencing the organizers to jail time. Following this incident, the Jordanian underground scene was shut down, as it remains to this day.
By 2010, due to a combination of life circumstances and political unrest including the Arab Spring, all the members disbanded to different parts of the world. But just before disbanding, Esodic released a split record with Tampa-based death metal band Generichrist on Deathstar Records.
In 2015, drummer Amarin relocated to Los Angeles and began gathering all of Esodic’s recorded material for mixing and mastering in preparation for their first EP, Mirrors of Disgrace. Though the members had disbanded, they had all agreed that this album was an important snapshot that needed to be released. Mirrors of Disgrace was self-released in February 2018. Two years later, Amarin made the decision to revive Esodic and continue the legacy. “Undoing” is the first musical output from the reinvigorated trio.
“Our new line up has a strong multiple disciplinary foundation, ensuring the beginning of a new era for Esodic” Amarin says.
“Undoing” is available today at https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/esodic/undoing-2. Stay tuned for more new music from Esodic.
- Michael Nolasco – guitar/vocals
- Kevin McCombs - bass
- Zed Amarin – drums
After one month of voting, nearly 6,000 votes cast and countless sharing across all social media platforms by us and nominees alike, the time has come to announce the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
But before that happens, there will be a change to how the nominees are cast. For 10 months of the year we will be running a series of rounds from which the 10 finalists will be recognised for the annual event.
The system will work as thus: nominees elected in the month of January are voted for in February... February nominees voted in March, etc and finishes with nominees in October being voted for in November - the finalists will then be voted for across the month of December and into early January 2021; finishing 8th January 2021.
Now that's put out into the open, we can finally reveal the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
Release Of The Year
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (19.8%)
- Eluveitie - Ategnatos (16.6%)
- Jinjer - Macro (13.9%)
- Oomph! - Ritual (9.2%)
- Kryptos - Afterburner (7.4%)
- Tyr - Hel (7.1%)
- Unleash The Archers - Explorers (7.1%)
- Myrath - Shehili (7%)
- Sabaton - The Great War (6.9%)
- The Hu - The Gereg (4.9%)
Best Live Act
- Jinjer (The Ukraine) - (27.6%)
- Eluveitie (Switzerland) - (15.2%)
- Sabaton (Sweden) - (11.3%)
- Alien Weaponry (New Zealand) - (9.9%)
- Myrath (Tunisia) - (9.1%)
- Lacuna Coil (Italy) - (8.2%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (7.2%)
- Crescent (Egypt) - (4.9%)
- Hatari (Iceland) - (3.6%)
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (3%)
Breakthrough African Metal Band
- Mythos (Egypt) - (35.5%)
- Berzek (Algeria) - (11.3%)
- My Veins (Madagascar) - (9%)
- Iron Sliver (Gabon) - (8.1%)
- Woltemade (South Africa) - (6.7%)
- Roar Of Heroes (Cameroon) - (6.7%)
- Nebulosa Difusa (Angola) - (5.9%)
- Oydis (Libya) - (5.6%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (5.6%)
- Kawn (Morocco) - (5.5%)
Breakthrough Asian Metal Band
- Trainwreck (Bangladesh) - (35%)
- Mary's Blood (Japan) - (21.1%)
- Bloodywood (India) - (10.4%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.6%)
- The Dead Sea (Jordan) - (5.5%)
- Ekwon (Iran) - (5.4%)
- Holy Dragons (Kazakhstan) - (5.1%)
- Reign In Slumber (Cambodia) - (4.2%)
- Afreet (Afghanistan) - (3.3%)
- Fecundation (South Korea) - (3.3%)
Breakthrough European Metal Band
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (17.1%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (12.7%)
- Elusion (Belgium) - (11.6%)
- Setheist (Poland) - (11.2%)
- Synlakross (Spain) - (8.8%)
- Scarleth (The Ukraine) - (8.2%)
- E-An-Na (Romania) - (7.9%)
- Awakening Sun (Lithuania) - (7.8%)
- Kobold (Serbia) - (7.3%)
- Crossbones (Albania) - (7.3%)
Breakthrough UK Metal Band
- Black Pyre (Wales) - (20.6%)
- Aeons (Isle Of Man) - (14.6%)
- Inferiem (Scotland) - (10.4%)
- Fear Bound (England) - (10.3%)
- Zombified (Northern Ireland) - (9.9%)
- Pravitas (England) - (9.6%)
- Dog Tired (Scotland) - (7.5%)
- Djinova (England) - (6.9%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (6.2%)
- Byzanthian Neckbeard (Guernsey) - (3.9%)
Breakthrough North & Central American Metal Band
- Astaroth Incarnate (Canada) - (32.8%)
- Human Equation (Mexico) - (11.6%)
- From The Graves (Cuba) - (10.9%)
- Reactor (El Salvador) - (8.4%)
- Stromptha (Greenland) - (7.6%)
- Athica (Panama) - (7.5%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.1%)
- Gangrena Cerebral (Dominican Republic) - (5.2%)
- Transgresión (Puerto Rico) - (5.1%)
- Aversia (Nicaragua) - (4.9%)
Breakthrough Oceanian Metal Band
- Scythian Fate (Australia) - (26.2%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (16.1%)
- Hunt The Witch (New Zealand) - (13.1%)
- Abide Till Death (Papua New Guinea) - (8%)
- Shepherd's Reign (New Zealand) - (7.6%)
- Surrender The Thief (Guam) - (6.6%)
- Redsphere (New Caledonia) - (6%)
- The Relativ (Fiji) - (5.9%)
- Dropvkal (Vanuatu) - (5.5%)
- Pōturu (French Polynesia) - (5%)
Breakthrough South American Metal Band
- Suicidal Drinkers (Argentina) - (17.1%)
- Visceral Decay (Ecuador) - (13.3%)
- Maze Of Terror (Peru) - (12.2%)
- Holder Of Souls (Brazil) - (12.1%)
- Inner Betrayer (Colombia) - (9.5%)
- Weight Of Emptiness (Chile) - (8.7%)
- Khymor (Paraguay) - (7.9%)
- Territory (Uruguay) - (7.1%)
- Worship The Pestilence (Bolivia) - (6.8%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) - (5.4%)
Breakthrough International Metal Band
- Bloodywood (India) - (24.4%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (11.4%)
- Infected Rain (Moldova) - (11.4%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (9.8%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (8.7%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (8.3%)
- Ade! (Italy) - (8%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.7%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) + Overthrust (Botswana) - (5.6%) - tied on vote numbers.
Festival Of The Year
- Bloodstock Open Air (England) - (28.4%)
- Heavy MTL (Canada) - (22%)
- Bangalore Open Air (India) - (17.8%)
- Copenhell (Denmark) - (6.4%)
- Eindhoven Metal Meeting (The Netherlands) - (5.4%)
- Goathell (Croatia) - (4.5%)
- Hard Rock Laager (Estonia) - (4.5%)
- Eistnaflug (Iceland) - (4.1%)
- Kaltenbach Open Air (Austria) - (3.8%)
- Hammersonic (Indonesia) - (3.1%)
Music Video Of The Year
- Rammstein - 'Deutschland' - (21.6%)
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Sugar' - (21.2%)
- Eluveitie - 'Ategnatos' - (12.8%)
- Jinjer - 'On The Top' - (11.6%)
- Myrath - 'Born To Survive' - (8%)
- Sabaton - 'Bismarck' - (7.9%)
- Alien Weaponry - 'Blinded' - (7.2%)
- Arka'n - 'Tears Of The Dead' - (4.6%)
- Underside - 'Wild' - (3.2%)
- Oomph! - 'Tausend Mann Und Ein Befehl' (1.9%)
Global Metal Ambassador 2019
- Gojira (France) - (28.1%)
- Freddy Lim (Taiwan) - (21.4%)
- Jake Shuker & Monzer Darwish (Syria) - (9.7%)
- Sahil Makhija (India) - (8%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.9%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (6.4%)
- Rock Arka'n (Togo) - (4.9%)
- Roy Dipankar (India -'Extreme Nation' director) - (4.6%)
- Overthrust (Botswana) - (4.1%)
- Zarraza (Kazakhstan) - (3.5%)
- World Metal Congress (International) - (2.2%)*
* Later withdrawn by request of nominee.
The 'Releases Of The Year' series are albums chosen by myself as the best release from each country / dependency known to have an official release in the year 2017. These are alphabetized in country order so are easy to navigate. Each award has national flag featured alongside the band name, Release Of The Year' and Facebook link (where provided)
Part 2/5 of releases of the year.
These releases represent national scenes and are not a general 'release of the year' (just to clarify)
Click your flag to see what release this year is considered the best from your national scene - these are picked by the editor.
Global Metal Apocalypse
Battle Of The Bands
Brutal Death Metal
Line Up Change
Play Through Video
Violent Pop Metal
Wacken Open Air