Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) Awards 2021 - Metal Release Of The Year (by country / territory)
So we now know who the winners of the GMA Awards 2021 were, but to wrap up the event in it's entirety and bid farewell to 2021 and usher in 2022, we must turn to the last bunch of awards - 'Metal Release By Country / Area'.
Usually these would include the flag of the band's nation, but given the events in Afghanistan this year among other political turmoil, I felt it would be prudent to forgo any flags and just list the winners.... so without further ado here are the....
"Under The Verdict"
"The Search For
The Dark Star"
"Beyond Unseen Gateways"
"In The Mouth Of Madness"
Black Serpent Ritual
BOSNIA - HERZEGOVINA
"Abyss Of Lost Souls"
"A Whole New Land"
"暮色绽放 Twilight Blooming"
Act Of Denial
Cycles Of Revocation
"Capítulo 1: Repugnante Negocio Del Terror"
Ghosts Of Atlantis
"A Legacy Of Vengeance"
"Lullabies Of Mountain Beasts"
"Empire Of Sins"
ISLE OF MAN
Serenity In Murder
"Midnight Bloody Dances"
"Te Ho Ngeza"
"Cold In Our Hearts"
"Sub Cultura Urii"
Scorn Of Creation
"Todas Las Sangres"
"Eulogy For The Gods"
Dethrone The Corrupted
"The Amygdaloid Decay"
Seraph In Travail
"A Black Death Incense"
"Covered in Concrete"
From The Abyss
"Carving The Fires Of Akhet"
"Chronicles Of War"
"Throne Of Control"
Her Last Sight
"Monument Of Reclamation"
"Mankind / Obsolete"
"Decades Of Suffering"
"The Constitutional Sacrifice"
The Iridium Experiment
"The Order Of Satan's Rage"
Deep Inside Us
"Untitled 2021 Demo"
"Death To Traitors"
"The Ultimate Dream. Plan B: Disposal Of Humanity"
"Belong To Hell"
"Ashes Of Dead Worlds"
"Annihilation Of Mankind"
"Vol. 4: Toxicolandia"
Apes Of God
"En El Recinto De La Tempestad"
Sol Draconi Septem
Beneath The Void
"Attack Of The 50ft Lobsters"
"The Inheritance Of Beauty"
"Gurus Of Destruction"
"Chaos Of Fear"
Becoming The Entity
"Signs Of Saturn"
"Empire Of Glass"
Robot Death Monkey
"Shame Of The Proud Angel"
"A Common Theories"
"Prelude To The Apocalypse"
"A Lip To Earth, A Lip To Heaven & A Tongue To The Stars"
"Punishment In The World To Come"
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
"Terror in Thrace"
The Only Survivor
"The Birth Of Anger"
"Thy Kingdom Kong"
So without further ado, we present the winners of the
2021 Global Metal Apocalypse (GMA) awards.
All categories except "Release Of The Year"
came with an 'other' option.
See you in December 2022
Global Metal Release Of The Year
WARRIOR OF LIGHT
Breakthrough African Band
Breakthrough Asian Band
Breakthrough European Band
Breakthrough North & Central American Band
Breakthrough Oceanian Band
Breakthrough South American Band
Breakthrough UK Band
BEYOND EXTINCTION (ESSEX)
GHOSTS OF ATLANTIS (ESSEX / SUFFOLK)
Breakthrough International Band
Music Video Of The Year
Cradle Of Filth - Necromantic Fantasies
Puerto Rican Progressive Metallers Avandra sign with Layered Reality Productions
Avandra has signed a deal with Layered Reality Productions!
Avandra is a Puerto Rican progressive metal band that made waves in the progressive metal scene in 2019 with the release of their critically acclaimed album Descender. This album was positively received by progressive metal fans worldwide. The band was searching for a new label to release their third upcoming album and found LRP to be a great fit for them.
Bandleader Christian Ayala had the following to when asked about the signing:
“Avandra is very proud to sign to such a great up-an-coming and hard working label like LRP! We can’t wait to start this journey together!”
The band is now working on their third release and more information about that will be revealed in the coming months!
GMA Awards 2019 - The Results
After one month of voting, nearly 6,000 votes cast and countless sharing across all social media platforms by us and nominees alike, the time has come to announce the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
But before that happens, there will be a change to how the nominees are cast. For 10 months of the year we will be running a series of rounds from which the 10 finalists will be recognised for the annual event.
The system will work as thus: nominees elected in the month of January are voted for in February... February nominees voted in March, etc and finishes with nominees in October being voted for in November - the finalists will then be voted for across the month of December and into early January 2021; finishing 8th January 2021.
Now that's put out into the open, we can finally reveal the winners of the GMA Awards 2019.
Release Of The Year
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (19.8%)
- Eluveitie - Ategnatos (16.6%)
- Jinjer - Macro (13.9%)
- Oomph! - Ritual (9.2%)
- Kryptos - Afterburner (7.4%)
- Tyr - Hel (7.1%)
- Unleash The Archers - Explorers (7.1%)
- Myrath - Shehili (7%)
- Sabaton - The Great War (6.9%)
- The Hu - The Gereg (4.9%)
Best Live Act
- Jinjer (The Ukraine) - (27.6%)
- Eluveitie (Switzerland) - (15.2%)
- Sabaton (Sweden) - (11.3%)
- Alien Weaponry (New Zealand) - (9.9%)
- Myrath (Tunisia) - (9.1%)
- Lacuna Coil (Italy) - (8.2%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (7.2%)
- Crescent (Egypt) - (4.9%)
- Hatari (Iceland) - (3.6%)
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (3%)
Breakthrough African Metal Band
- Mythos (Egypt) - (35.5%)
- Berzek (Algeria) - (11.3%)
- My Veins (Madagascar) - (9%)
- Iron Sliver (Gabon) - (8.1%)
- Woltemade (South Africa) - (6.7%)
- Roar Of Heroes (Cameroon) - (6.7%)
- Nebulosa Difusa (Angola) - (5.9%)
- Oydis (Libya) - (5.6%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (5.6%)
- Kawn (Morocco) - (5.5%)
Breakthrough Asian Metal Band
- Trainwreck (Bangladesh) - (35%)
- Mary's Blood (Japan) - (21.1%)
- Bloodywood (India) - (10.4%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.6%)
- The Dead Sea (Jordan) - (5.5%)
- Ekwon (Iran) - (5.4%)
- Holy Dragons (Kazakhstan) - (5.1%)
- Reign In Slumber (Cambodia) - (4.2%)
- Afreet (Afghanistan) - (3.3%)
- Fecundation (South Korea) - (3.3%)
Breakthrough European Metal Band
- Odd Crew (Bulgaria) - (17.1%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (12.7%)
- Elusion (Belgium) - (11.6%)
- Setheist (Poland) - (11.2%)
- Synlakross (Spain) - (8.8%)
- Scarleth (The Ukraine) - (8.2%)
- E-An-Na (Romania) - (7.9%)
- Awakening Sun (Lithuania) - (7.8%)
- Kobold (Serbia) - (7.3%)
- Crossbones (Albania) - (7.3%)
Breakthrough UK Metal Band
- Black Pyre (Wales) - (20.6%)
- Aeons (Isle Of Man) - (14.6%)
- Inferiem (Scotland) - (10.4%)
- Fear Bound (England) - (10.3%)
- Zombified (Northern Ireland) - (9.9%)
- Pravitas (England) - (9.6%)
- Dog Tired (Scotland) - (7.5%)
- Djinova (England) - (6.9%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (6.2%)
- Byzanthian Neckbeard (Guernsey) - (3.9%)
Breakthrough North & Central American Metal Band
- Astaroth Incarnate (Canada) - (32.8%)
- Human Equation (Mexico) - (11.6%)
- From The Graves (Cuba) - (10.9%)
- Reactor (El Salvador) - (8.4%)
- Stromptha (Greenland) - (7.6%)
- Athica (Panama) - (7.5%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.1%)
- Gangrena Cerebral (Dominican Republic) - (5.2%)
- Transgresión (Puerto Rico) - (5.1%)
- Aversia (Nicaragua) - (4.9%)
Breakthrough Oceanian Metal Band
- Scythian Fate (Australia) - (26.2%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (16.1%)
- Hunt The Witch (New Zealand) - (13.1%)
- Abide Till Death (Papua New Guinea) - (8%)
- Shepherd's Reign (New Zealand) - (7.6%)
- Surrender The Thief (Guam) - (6.6%)
- Redsphere (New Caledonia) - (6%)
- The Relativ (Fiji) - (5.9%)
- Dropvkal (Vanuatu) - (5.5%)
- Pōturu (French Polynesia) - (5%)
Breakthrough South American Metal Band
- Suicidal Drinkers (Argentina) - (17.1%)
- Visceral Decay (Ecuador) - (13.3%)
- Maze Of Terror (Peru) - (12.2%)
- Holder Of Souls (Brazil) - (12.1%)
- Inner Betrayer (Colombia) - (9.5%)
- Weight Of Emptiness (Chile) - (8.7%)
- Khymor (Paraguay) - (7.9%)
- Territory (Uruguay) - (7.1%)
- Worship The Pestilence (Bolivia) - (6.8%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) - (5.4%)
Breakthrough International Metal Band
- Bloodywood (India) - (24.4%)
- Sons Of Solomon (Solomon Islands) - (11.4%)
- Infected Rain (Moldova) - (11.4%)
- Outright Resistance (England) - (9.8%)
- Forever Still (Denmark) - (8.7%)
- Arka'n (Togo) - (8.3%)
- Ade! (Italy) - (8%)
- Redhead Match (Costa Rica) - (6.7%)
- Cultura Tres (Venezuela) + Overthrust (Botswana) - (5.6%) - tied on vote numbers.
Festival Of The Year
- Bloodstock Open Air (England) - (28.4%)
- Heavy MTL (Canada) - (22%)
- Bangalore Open Air (India) - (17.8%)
- Copenhell (Denmark) - (6.4%)
- Eindhoven Metal Meeting (The Netherlands) - (5.4%)
- Goathell (Croatia) - (4.5%)
- Hard Rock Laager (Estonia) - (4.5%)
- Eistnaflug (Iceland) - (4.1%)
- Kaltenbach Open Air (Austria) - (3.8%)
- Hammersonic (Indonesia) - (3.1%)
Music Video Of The Year
- Rammstein - 'Deutschland' - (21.6%)
- Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Sugar' - (21.2%)
- Eluveitie - 'Ategnatos' - (12.8%)
- Jinjer - 'On The Top' - (11.6%)
- Myrath - 'Born To Survive' - (8%)
- Sabaton - 'Bismarck' - (7.9%)
- Alien Weaponry - 'Blinded' - (7.2%)
- Arka'n - 'Tears Of The Dead' - (4.6%)
- Underside - 'Wild' - (3.2%)
- Oomph! - 'Tausend Mann Und Ein Befehl' (1.9%)
Global Metal Ambassador 2019
- Gojira (France) - (28.1%)
- Freddy Lim (Taiwan) - (21.4%)
- Jake Shuker & Monzer Darwish (Syria) - (9.7%)
- Sahil Makhija (India) - (8%)
- Slaves To Sirens (The Lebanon) - (6.9%)
- Underside (Nepal) - (6.4%)
- Rock Arka'n (Togo) - (4.9%)
- Roy Dipankar (India -'Extreme Nation' director) - (4.6%)
- Overthrust (Botswana) - (4.1%)
- Zarraza (Kazakhstan) - (3.5%)
- World Metal Congress (International) - (2.2%)*
* Later withdrawn by request of nominee.
Puerto Rican frenzied thrashers Calamity bring forth a relentless neck-wrecking adventure through their awaited sophomore album, Kairos. As the previews of the album, they previously released the videos of the single The Truth, and later the second single Guerreros – their first song in Spanish.
“Kairos brings a new sound to the game -- the riffs, the lyrics, the sound. We are truly happy with everything. This is the realest we can get as a band so far!“
Premiered at New Noise Magazine, the album saw its worldwide release on May 10th digitally and on CD.
Calamity originally started off as a Metallica cover band under the moniker Silent Scream in 2009 and shortly after having own materials, they decided to continue under the name of Hush. Hush had their first gig on the local scene in 2010. After opening for Skeletonwitch in Puerto Rico, the band decided to adapt a full thrash metal style, rooted in the sonic aesthetics of both old school overlords and modern revival acts. In 2014, months before releasing their first EP, Let em’ burn, Hush changed their name to Calamity to have a better representation of their newly converted musical route.
The band released their first full length, Imminent Disaster, on December 18th of 2015, which was accompanied by their first US tour from December 2015 to January 2016. This album and the next single, End of the Road, led Calamity the way to get exposure on the local TV and later in Puerto Rico’s #1 radio station “La Mega”. The same year saw their second US Tour, “Northern Disaster”, and a supporting performance at Nervosa’s 2016 show in Puerto Rico. In 2018, Calamity played at Illinois Open-Air Festival “Full Terror Assault”.
Calamity brought fire and fury with their sophomore album, Kairos, released on 10th May 2019 digitally and on CD. Kairos offers reckless and lethal dose of headbanging tribulation throughout nine varied thrash metal anthems.
Progressive metal band Avandra have teamed up with Metal Injection to stream the entirety of their new album Descender. The album will be released tomorrow via Blood Music.
Listen to the album here: https://metalinjection.net/av/full-album-stream/avandras-new-album-descender-is-post-hurricane-prog-metal-fury-from-puerto-rico
Pre-order the album here: https://www.blood-music.com/store-us/avandra/977-avandra-descender-cd.html
Having started as a one-man project by Christian Ayala, Avandra is a Puerto Rican progressive metal band born from hurricane-fuelled strife, and now becoming one of the scene’s breakout acts. Given their humble origins, Avandra was never meant to play live. However, after releasing the band’s first record, Tymora, demand was so high that Ayala felt obligated to bring his work to life on stage in May of 2017. By the time their second show rolled around a few months, later Puerto Rico had been ravaged by Hurricane Maria. Alone in the dark, Christian wrote what became the second Avandra record, Descender.
Having gained international attention with their debut release, the band found themselves on multiple year end lists. One fan, Nelson Varas, the director of such award winning metal music culture documentaries in the Caribbean as Distorted Island, Metal Island, and Songs of Injustice, ended up writing to Blood Music about the band. Suddenly, an act with the most humble of beginnings found themselves signed to a top notch taste-maker label with the power to push them over the top. Avandra’s hard work was starting to pay off.
2018 was a whirlwind for the fledgling prog act as they travelled to New Hampshire to record their new album with Daniel Schwartz of Astronoid, then enlisting the mastering talent of the legendary Magnus Lindberg. Featuring guest spots from current and former members of Haken, Dream Theater, and Astronoid, the band seems poised to unleash something truly different and special. In the midst of it all, they even performed a home-town show in San Juan as opener for metal legends Orphaned Land. From out of the storm’s wreckage, Avandra have spent over a year preparing this stunning sophomore release, and shall soon come forth and unleash prog metal mayhem.
Brutal death metal band Hate Diplomacy have teamed up with Decibel Magazine to stream their entire new album Rant. The album is set to be released tomorrow.
The band commented:-
“After 10 years of hard work and dedication this album is finally here!” This album means the world to us and we can’t wait for everyone to hear it! There are deep messages in every song accompanied by punishing grooves and hardcore-influenced death.”
Listen to the album in full here: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/06/28/full-album-stream-hate-diplomacy-rant/
Order the album here: http://hatediplomacy.com/
The 'Releases Of The Year' series are albums chosen by myself as the best release from each country / dependency known to have an official release in the year 2017. These are alphabetized in country order so are easy to navigate. Each award has national flag featured alongside the band name, Release Of The Year' and Facebook link (where provided)
"Release Of The Year" from Panama
Serpent Of Eden - "The False Existence"
"Release Of The Year" from Paraguay
Atomic Curse - "Speed Merchants Live Curse"
"Release Of The Year" from The Philippines
Pathogen - "Ashes of Eternity"
"Release Of The Year" from Poland
Across The Shade - "Winter Is Coming"
"Release Of The Year" from Puerto Rico
Falgar - "Las hijas del crepúsculo"
"Release Of The Year" from Romania
Diamonds Are Forever - "Melanism"
"Release Of The Year" from Russia
Переплут - "В стародавние года..."
"Release Of The Year" from Saudi Arabia
Al-Namrood - "Enkar"
"Release Of The Year" from Scotland
Cnoc An Tursa - "The Forty Five"
"Release Of The Year" from Serbia
Jenner - "To Live Is to Suffer"
"Release Of The Year" from Singapore
Assault - "The Fallen Reich"
"Release Of The Year" from Slovakia
Modern Age Dying - "The Age of Regression"
"Release Of The Year" from Slovenia
Dethrone The Corrupted - "Sephirot"
"Release Of The Year" from South Africa
Displeased Disfigurement -
"Origin of Abhorrence"
"Release Of The Year" from Spain
Yggdrassil - "All Shall Burn"
"Release Of The Year" from Sri Lanka
A Village in Despair - "A Village in Despair"
Puerto Rico-based hardcore thrashers, Calamity, recently released their new single, “End Of The Road”, which was produced by Ramon Ortiz (Puya, Ankla).
"With this single we wanted to show our followers the path we are taking before starting on our second album. We would say we went heavier this time, and the new ideas we are writing are taking pretty much the same direction; heavier, deeper and more powerful." - Vocalist/guitarist, Berny Santos.
Watch the lyric video for “End Of The Road” below which is also available at BandCamp, iTunes, Amazon and Spotify.
Calamity started in 2010 as a cover band named Silent Screams. In 2011 the Puerto Rican band had their debut show on the local scene, but already as a Thrash band under the name Hush. After the co-founder and at that time singer Gabriel Quiñones left the band in 2013 the group has taken into a heavier and deeper kind of Thrash Metal. Now as Calamity the founders Berny Santos in Vocals and Guitar, Gonzalo Ortiz with the Guitar, Fernan Rivera the Bass man and Eduardo Acevedo in the Drums, have released their first EP "Let em' Burn" in September 2014 and their first Full Album, "Imminent Disaste" on December 18, 2015. Imminent Disaster was supported by the band's first US tour alongside their local partners, Zafakon during winter 2015/2016. Calamity released their single End of the Road on October 17, 2016.
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Grammy® Award-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Metallica will unleash “Atlas, Rise!” to fans this coming Halloween at 3:00 PM EST / 12:00 PM PST / 8.00 PM BST. The song is the third track to be released from Metallica’s forthcoming album, Hardwired…To Self-Destruct, due for release on the band’s own Blackened Recordings on November 18th and follows previously released tracks “Hardwired” and “Moth Into Flame”.
To help fans get into the Halloween spirit, starting this Friday, October 28th, Metallica fans around the world can visit select independent record stores for the chance to obtain a free limited edition Hardwired…To Self-Destruct Halloween mask. Inside of each mask fans will find a special access code that will allow them to hear “Atlas, Rise!” 30-minutes prior to its official release on Halloween.
Hardwired…To Self-Destruct is Metallica’s first studio album since 2008’s multi-platinum Death Magnetic. The album was produced by Greg Fidelman, who engineered and mixed Death Magnetic, and is available for pre-order at www.Metallica.com in various configurations including: CD, Vinyl, Digital, Deluxe, and Deluxe Deluxe Versions.
The band have started to roll out dates for their ‘WorldWired’ Tour – which promises to take them to all corners of the globe. Additional shows are being added all the time.
Oct 26th Coliseo De Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Oct 29th Parque Bicentenario, Quito, Ecuador
Nov 1st Hipodromo De Los Andes, Bogota, Colombia
Nov 3rd Estadio Cementos Progreso, Guatamala City, Guatemala
Nov 5th Estadio Nacional, San Jose, Costa Rica
Jan 11th 2017 Gocheok Sky Dome, Seoul, South Korea
Feb 3rd Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Feb 5th Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Feb 7th Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Feb 9th Royal Arena, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mar 25th – 26th Mar Lollapalooza, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mar 31st – Apr 1st Lollapalooza, Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 1st - Apr 2nd Lolloapalooza, Santiago Chile
Global Metal Apocalypse
Battle Of The Bands
Brutal Death Metal
Violent Pop Metal